Beyond Art: Pleistocene Image and Symbol, Margaret Conkey, Olga Soffer, Deborah Stratmann, & Nina Jablonski, editors
1997, Memoirs of the California Academy of Sciences, Number 23, paper
378 pages, 46 b/w photos, 80 figures/maps/charts, 7" x 10"
This title and edition is out-of-print and out-of-stock.
Please be sure to visit our used, rare, & out-of-print titles web page to check for a used copy.
This volume consists of the combined proceedings of the 1995 Second Paul & Phyllis Wattis Foundation Endowment Symposium, and the 1993 First Oregon Archaeological Retreat.
Papers and their authors are:
- Studying Ancient Visual Cultures, Olga Soffer and Margaret W. Conkey
- Paleolithic Marks: Archaeometric Perspectives, Alan Watchman
- New Laboratory Techniques and Their Impact on Paleolithic Cave Art, Jean Clottes
- Paleolithic Image Making and Symboling in Europe and the Middle East: A Comparative Review, Alexander Marshack
- Substantial Acts: From Materials to Meaning in Upper Paleolithic Representation, Randall White
- The Power of Pictures, Iain Davidson
- Symbolic Expressions in Later Prehistory of the Levant: Why are They so Few?, Ofer Bar-Yosef
- When the Beasts Go Marchin' Out! The End of Pleistocene Art in Cantabrian Spain, Manuel R. Gonzalez Morales
- Art of the Light and Art of the Depths, Jean Clottes
- Carving, Painting, Engraving: Problems with the Earliest Italian Design, Margherita Mussi and Daniela Zampetti
- The Mutability of Upper Paleolithic Art in Central and Eastern Europe: Patterning and Significance, Olga Soffer
- Places of Art: Art and Archaeology in Context, Sylvia Tomaskova
- Archaeological Signatures of the Social Context of Rock Art Production, Andree Rosenfeld
- Processions and Groups: Human Figures, Ritual Occasions and Social Categories in the Rock Paintings of the Western Cape, South Africa, John Parkington and Anthony Manhire
- Harnessing the Brain: Vision and Shamanism in Upper Paleolithic Western Europe, J.D. Lewis-Williams
- Beyond Art and Between the Caves: Thinking about Context in the Interpretive Process, Margaret W. Conkey
Coffee Table |
Book Links |
Used & Misc |
Order Form |
Order Info |